Setting up the NuGet Development Environment
So you want to hack on NuGet? These notes will help you get your development environment set up correctly so you can work on NuGet using Visual Studio. The lowest supported version is Visual Studio 2015 with Update 1.
Get and Build the code on Windows
- Install Visual Studio 2015.1 and ASP.NET 5
- Uninstall the existing NuGet Extension from Visual Studio.
To build NuGet.VisualStudioExtension, execute the following steps:
- Add the directory of msbuild 14, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin, to PATH
- Download the latest version of NuGet.exe, and add its directory to PATH
- Start powershell. Create a directory, cd into that directory
Clone NuGet/NuGet.Client repository
git clone https://github.com/NuGet/NuGet.Client.git
The generated vsix will be in the artifacts folder
For more details, please visit the NuGet/Home repository
Setup Debugging for VS2015
To debug the console and UI during development, following these steps:
- Launch Visual Studio as Administrator
- Make sure that the NuGet Extension is UNINSTALLED from your primary instance of VS so your newly compiled one can load into the experimental instance.
- Set the VsExtension project as the startup project
- Ensure that you rebuild the VsExtension project.
- Now you can run or debug the VsExtension project and this would launch a separate instance of VS2015 (called the Experimental instance) with a copy of the NuGet vsix installed. What you do in this instance don't affect the main VS instance.
Developing NuGet on Linux
The easiest distribution to use is OpenSUSE. Install OpenSUSE 13.2, then follow these steps:
sudo zypper install git
sudo zypper install mono-complete
Import Trusted Root Certificates. By default, Mono trusts no one. The NuGet build needs to install some packages from https://www.nuget.org, and without neccessary root certificates this will fail. Run this command to import trusted root certificates from Mozilla's LXR into Mono's certificate store:
mozroots --sync --import
Clone the repository
git clone https://github.com/NuGet/NuGet2.git
Build NuGet Cd to the nuget source code direcotry, run
This will build NuGet.exe in directory src/CommandLine/bin/Release successfully.